Friday, April 25, 2008

Foundation Waterproofing Membrane

I want our basement to be waterproof. Most houses just have a tar sprayed onto the foundation, which is only damp-proof. That stuff is cheap, about $28 for a 5 gallon bucket. I am going to upgrade to the better stuff which is actually waterproof. Lots of companies make stuff, but only a few products will meet my criteria. Many of the products are spray on, and I don't have the equipment for that. I need something I can roll or brush on. Also I have to be able to get it locally for a reasonable price. That really cut down the possible product I can use, so I picked this:

Mar-Flex 5000R

They only had 7 buckets in stock, so I also got 1 bucket of this more expensive product:

BASF HLM-5000

I purchased this stuff here: AH Harris and Sons

After rolling that stuff on the foundation, I will say that the HLM-5000 seems to be a better product (Well it is more expensive too). After drying, the Mar-Flex 5000 left little pinholes of exposed concrete, didn't matter how think I rolled it on. 2 coats of that stuff is really necessary, which means double the work. The 5 gallon can of HLM-5000 was much heavier, the stuff was much thicker and harder to spread on the foundation, but I can't imagine why you would need a second coat of it. It seems like it will hold up better that the Mar-Flex.

You can research product like this here:

ICC Evaluation Service - Fluid Applied Waterproofing

2 comments:

J said...

The guy at AH Harris told me the that the HLM-5000 was better stuff, but I went with the cheaper MarFlex 5000. I wish I used the HLM-5000. It went on in one coat, extremely thick stuff. The MarFlex 5000, no matter how thick you roll it on, it looks fine, but then starts to pinhole when it dries, so you really need a second coat. That's a nightmare, I'd rather just usethe HLM-5000 one coat and be done with it.

Anna Schafer said...

I really thank you for the valuable info on this great subject and look forward to more great posts. Thanks a lot for enjoying this beauty article with me. I am appreciating it very much! Looking forward to another great article. Good luck to the author! All the best! Waterprrofing