Thursday, June 11, 2009

Chandelier lifts

It's a major pain to change the light bulbs on a chandelier. So I was thinking about getting a motorized chandelier lift to lower the chandelier to floor level, change the bulbs, or clean the thing, and then hoist it back up. But searching around, I got sticker shock! Those things cost around $1000, just as much as the chandelier does!!! I would never pay that much.

Then I got to thinking: I dont need a fancy motorized one, with a switch at the bottom of the foyer. Why not get a simple, manual lift, that you can crank up/down yourself, from up in the attic? Something like that must exist, and it must be much much cheaper, right?

Well I can't find one anywhere. Please leave me a comment if you do.

OK, so they make all kinds of lifts and chain hoists for mechanical equipment. Stuff that can lift a half ton, and it only costs like $139. Can't someone adapt something like this for chandeliers?

southern-tool.com hoist


GardenWeb Post

3 comments:

Migdalor Guy said...

I have been searching for same thing for some time now. I spent two decades in the theater business and know of all types of simple wich systems, but so far no one seems to have marketed a simpler and less expensive chandelier lift. Shame

Yong Kim said...

$1000? Just wondering if it is possible to climb up to the chandelier instead?

Alexander said...

Good post, very interesting